Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

All aboard

We home school.  Our school year usually runs from mid-August, early-September to the beginning of May.  We have a nice long Summer vacation.  It is great!!!!  At times though, the kids get bored.  We can't always walk to the park or take a trip to the library or have people over to play.  I am busy trying to get the house in order so I can't always stop and play. So, it is my job to come up with stuff to keep them busy during those, "I have nothing to do..." days. 

Enter: Cardboard boxes.  I had been saving (much to my husband's chagrin) different sized carbboard boxes from Aldi and BJ's for one of those "I don't have anything to do..." days.  We finally had a day when we were home and it wasn't raining, so I sent the kids outside to make a cardboard box creation. 

Here is what they came up with:

A train...heading west.  This isn't the best photo (I am not a great photographer), but they took all the boxes and lined them up to make a train.  It had an engine complete with steering wheel and smoke stack:

There was a livestock car with horses, a sleeper car, and a caboose.  Tickets cost $.02.  They headed out for a long trip to Texas.  I recieved a letter via Pony Express stating they arrived safely.  
Unfortunately, the train had a wreck and will have to be put in this week's recycling.  No injuries were sustained.  Simple and free.  They had a great time and it kept them busy most of the morning.  It doesn't take much.  Kids don't need a steady diet of movies, T.V., new toys and electronic gadgets, and  video games.  They just need some boxes and a little imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment