Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My New Van

Well, as my husband says, "Our new, used van."  The Lord has blessed us with a 1994 Dodge Caravan.  It is in very good condition, has only 87,000 miles on it, and we know the previous owners and they took very good care of it. (And it is blue.  My favorite color)  On top of that the price was right.  The Lord worked it out for us to purchase this van.  I don't want to bore you with all the details, but we believe He provided this van for us.  We have been in need of a vehicle for some time now.  I really wanted a minivan, but that wasn't in our budget.  God is so good!!! 

Often, I look around our home...I sometimes say my decorating style is the "Thrift Store Style."  Not because we got everything from a thrift store, but because it looks like a thrift store.  I would say about 90% of everything in our house was given to us. Some matches...some doesn't.   We have purchased very few things.  Anyway, I look around our home and I start to get discontent.  I look at others homes and they have new furniture and everything matches.  I start to become discontent.  I guess the Bible is right..."comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."-II Cor 10:12.  Then I stop.  I think about what the Lord has provided.  I think about each room and how for the most part each room has been furnished with what has been provided.  God has provided for us.  He is faithful.  How can I complain about what He has provided.

I begin to think about stuff.  Do I want perfectly matching furniture and co-ordinating accents?  Yes.  In the grand scheme of things does it matter?  What is the eternal value of matching furniture and co-ordinating accents?  Nothing.  What is the eternal value of things?  Nothing.  Why am I discontent?  Because I take my eyes off of God's provision, God's purpose and focus it on things...things that I don't have, but someone else does. Things that don't really matter. 

What does this have to do with "My New Van"?  I am not sure.  No, just kidding.  It is that I look at my new van and I think how good God is.  At times I am so discontent.  All I care about is stuff.  Then God goes and blesses me with something I want. I wanted a van.  He shows me that He cares about me and wants to give me what I want.  It may not be a 2011 Grand Caravan, but it is God meeting a need and in the mean time satisfying a want.  He could have provided us with a 4 door sedan and still met our need. BUT He didn't. He met our need and my want.  He truly cares about what I want inspite of my complaing spirit.  The Lord is providing, blessing me with wants, and teaching me to be content with Him and His provision and teaching me that stuff doesn't really matter. 

Ps 90:14 "O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days."

Ps 16:11 "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."

Php 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment