Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rice and Beans-No tomatoes

In my attempt to save money in this new year I decided to have at least one meatless or low meat meal a week.  I would like to try to have two.  That would be a challenge.  I am a big meat eater and my husband...well.... every time I serve a dinner without meat I get comments like, "Where's the beef?"  You have to know my hubby.  He needs his protein and really can't afford to lose weight.  I have another challenge.  WD hates tomatoes.  In our house you eat what you are served, but I do consider our tastes when I plan my menus.  I don't want to constantly serve things the kids don't like.  Many meatless meals use tomatoes.  I searched the web for "tomato-less" beans and rice.  I found a few, but decided to take one as a base and make my own.  Here it is:

Rice and Beans

1small onion, chopped
1/2 cup or so carrots, chopped in very small pieces
2 cans of beans (any you like), drained and rinsed
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp Thyme
2 TBL. McCormick Premium Taco Seasoning mix...any taco seasoning would be fine or some cumin, chili powder, etc.
2 tsp. Garlic powder
3-4 cups brown rice, cooked
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring broth to a boil in a medium pot or large skillet.  Add onions and carrot.  Once broth returns to a boil reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.  Add beans.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Stir in rice a cup at a time until you have the desired bean to rice ratio.  Cook for another 10 minutes stirring frequently.  Season with Salt and Pepper.

NOTE(for personal reference):  Try cooking rice in Chicken broth instead of water with spices.  Add beans half way through. Try with more veggies (i.e. celery, peppers, corn)

No comments:

Post a Comment