Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Oat Flour Pizza Crust

I have been fairly successful in eliminating white flour from my diet while at home.  (With the exception of last week when I was sick and didn't care what I ate).  I came up with this pizza dough made of oat and whole wheat flour.  It was adapted from a regular pizza dough recipe.  I took my chances and the results were...ok...nothing spectacular.  It wasn't great, but not terrible either.  I am going to keep it as a base that needs tweaking.  It didn't rise hardly at all.  The final texture was not bad, but not pizza "doughish." 

Oat Flour Pizza Dough

2 cups oat flour
1/2-3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. honey
1 scant Tbl. active dry yeast or 1 package
2 Tbl. Olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir honey into warm water in a large bowl.  Stir in yeast until dissolved.  Let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy.  Add flour, salt and oil.  Combine.  Knead for 6-8 minutes until you have moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic.  Let rest for about an hour or so.  Lightly grease pizza pan.  Roll dough onto pan.  Top as desired.  Bake for 10-20 minutes uni done. 

NOTES:  All the mixing and kneading was done in Kitchen Aid Stand mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment