Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thoughts from Proverbs 19

I read a Proverb everyday in my daily Bible reading.  The following verses really stood out to me today.  I have a few comments, but mostly wanted readers to plainly see the Word of God for themselves.  Because this blog is kind of a personal blog it is a good place for me to put things the Lord has shown me.

Proverbs 19:19, "A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again." 

Proverbs 19: 20, "Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end."

I need wisdom and where does that come from...getting counsel...counsel from godly friends and family...counsel primarily from the Word of God.   Notice it doesn't just say "hear counsel."  It also says, "receive instruction."  Anyone can hear something, but receiving requires moving if you will.  I can hear it, but I don't have to act upon it.  When I receive godly counsel and instruction I must act on it.   Why?  So I can have wisdom in my  "latter end."  

Proverbs 19:21, "There are many devices in a man's heart: nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand." 

I wish I could tell you how much I needed this verse today.  Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart: and lean not unto thine own understanding."  (emphasis added...I am supposed to say that right? :) )  Lean not unto my own understanding.  I have many devices in my heart.  I have my own understanding of how things should be.  My own plans and purposes.  My own ways.  BUT Proverbs 19:21 tells us the Lord's counsel shall stand.  What is the Lord's counsel?  Where do we find it?  His holy, pure, and perfect word.  (see Pr. 30:5, Ps. 12:6, Ps. 119:140).  I might not always understand what the Lord is doing or how His plan works, but His counsels are right and in the end they "shall stand." 

Proverbs 19:23, "The fear of the Lord tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied, he shall not be visited with evil." 

I don't want to be visited with evil.  Do I deserve evil?  Yes.  Do I fear the Lord as I should?  No.  Do I want life? Yes.  Why not just fear the Lord then since it tendeth to life?  My flesh.  My flesh needs to be subdued. (I Cor. 6:12).  A great book for ladies regarding the flesh...other than the Bible, of course...is Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver.  WARNING:  The author does not use the King James Bible, so you will have to read this with your Bible open beside it...do it...it is worth reading every scripture. 

Proverbs 19:26 and 27, "He that wasteth his father, and chaseth away his mother, is a son that causeth shame, and bringeth reproach.  Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge."

Cease.  Stop.  Psalm 1...don't walk in the ungodly's way...get away...don't look that way...Pr. 4:14-15...run...avoid it.  In the end you will be like a tree planted by the water.  What is the water?  God's word.  Isn't that my goal?  To be a christian with depth.  Sometimes pushing my roots through the dirt is slow, hard work, but that is what I want...to be grounded in God's word.  Then when the winds of life blow and the storms come I won't be moved because my roots are deep.  How deep are my roots now?  I think maybe I just barely sprouted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment