I have to say I was able to keep up with the laundry as well as complete a 10 minute chore each day. Since I didn't want to bring a coughing little girl to church she and I stayed home today. That helped me stay on top of the weekend laundry. There isn't much on the schedule this week, so I should have a better week.
Working on the kids table chores has been a little inconsistent, but I am trying.
I made this little system to help with our 10 minute chores. I didn't come up with the idea on my own. I am pretty sure a fellow home school mom told me about it many years ago. The basic idea for 10 minute chores came from http://www.stephaniodea.com/ and http://www.flylady.net/.
1. Get some Popsicle sticks. Write one chore on each Popsicle stick.
2. Put Popsicle sticks in a jar.
3. Each day pick one Popsicle stick and complete the chore written on it. Remember this is a 10 minute chore. The goal is to complete it in 10 minutes. So, set your timer and get to work. If your time is up and you haven't completed your chore you can keep working if you have time or pick up where you left off on the next day. I made a jar for the kids too. It will be a challenge to see who can complete their chore in 10 minutes.
4. Store all of your jars in a basket. I have a jar for me, a jar for the kids and two discard jars. Some chores will go back into the jar when completed. Some will go in the discard jar and after a month will be put back in the rotation.
5. Do it. I am a planner. I love to write lists and make up chore charts. The hard part is the action. The last part of the 10 minute chore jar is action. Pick a stick and get going.
Some 10 minute chore ideas:
- Clean a section of a closet
- Sweep porch or deck
- Clean one drawer (kitchen, bath, bedroom)
- Dust the top of door jams and windows
- Clean of top of your washer/dryer or laundry area
- Wash the windows in one room
- Clean 2 kitchen appliances
- Wipe off light switches
- Clean out one linen closet shelf
- Clean out one kitchen cabinet
- Disinfect one garbage can
- Wipe off refrigerator shelf
- Dust random knick-knacks
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets, furniture
- Wash one bathroom wall
- Wash stairs
- Dust trim/corners