Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cottage Cheese Waffles

Growing up we never had sugar or white flour.  My mom strictly followed a hypoglycemic diet.  She was very creative and had some great tried and true recipes.  One recipe I always enjoyed was Cottage Cheese Pancakes. (She always made them as waffles).  These are and have been a life saver for me.  I have even used them to make grilled cheese.  The following is the original recipe.  My modified recipe is below.

Cottage Cheese Pancakes (Waffles)--Original recipe

6 eggs
1 1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Blend all ingredients in a blender until very smooth.  The batter will be thin.  Pour onto a hot greased skillet.  For waffles, pour onto a preheated waffle iron.  These waffles steam for a long time.  When the steam slows down, gently lift the lid to check them.

Modified Version:

Cottage Cheese Waffles--low grain/no wheat

8 eggs
1 1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/4 c. Almond meal
1/4 c. Fresh ground oat flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Blend all ingredients in a blender until very smooth.  The batter will be thin.  Pour onto a preheated waffle iron. 

Some notes about Cottage Cheese Waffles:  The batter is thin.  The texture is not like a wheat flour waffle.  It is moist and will not be fluffy when finished cooking.  I omit the salt as cottage cheese is salty enough.  Top with natural jam, apple sauce, berries or just plain butter.  To make these completely "grain free" use almond meal to replace all of the flour (you must add the extra eggs found in my modified recipe).

I love foods you can make ahead and put in the freezer.  I am definitely a "freezer fanatic."  This morning I made a double batch.  WD and I each had some. I put the rest in freezer bags to use on other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment